I had a lot of tomato soup while growing up, especially during the cold winters. It’s just one of those foods parents grow you up on. It was always a warming food though and it gave me fond memories of that arctic frozen season. This is a really simple recipe for the whole family to enjoy. You can feel good about serving it as well since it’s packed with vitamins and natural ingredients.
I personally love to eat this with some almond butter sandwiches. There’s just something about the way those flavors combine that kicks the meal up an extra notch. There are lots of ways you can alter this recipe. If you want a creamier flavor, add some heavy cream at the end of the cooking process. Another thing you can do if you like spicy foods is add some red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno.
This side dish pairs well with such a wide variety of cuisine. Even so I think it’s perfectly fine to eat on it’s own, maybe with some crackers or cheddar cheese on top. This is just one extra way to eat healthier and put natural food in your body with quality ingredients.
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 3 cups of diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp of ground basil
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- In a saucepan, heat the tomato juice and chicken broth.
- Add all of the ingredients into your blender.
- Blend on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes and enjoy.