I like to call this recipe a fiesta in a bowl, it goes really well with other Mexican themed cuisine. You can also eat it as a main course since there’s a good amount of substantial ingredients to sink your teeth into. Be careful not to over-blend the black beans though, otherwise you’ll turn the beans into mush. Which isn’t quite as visually pleasing but would still likely taste good. It’s a really casual soup to have with a few crackers and you can feel good about eating it as there aren’t many calories.
If you want to make the dish a bit spicier make sure to add some red pepper flakes, jalapeño, or an even hotter pepper. I personally love feeling food burn my mouth and bring tears to my eyes but other people in my family don’t. It’s okay to add the spicy additions to your own bowl, just make sure to let it sit for a minute or two and stir occasionally. I have a friend that also likes to have some shredded chicken or taco meat into their soup.
I’d say this is one of the healthier soup recipes available. If you’re trying to eat better or get in shape, black beans are a great source of protein and vitamins. They’re also incredibly low in calories in terms of weight to calorie ratio. That means you’ll feel full for longer without consuming a high amount of calories.
- 2 1/4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups of black beans
- 1/4 cup of diced green pepper
- 1/4 cup of sauteed onion
- 1/4 cup of corn
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove of roasted garlic
- pinch of salt
- Add every ingredient into your blender jar except for the pepper and half of the black beans.
- Start your blender on low speed while gradually increasing to high speed.
- Blend for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the green pepper and rest of the black beans to your blender jar.
- Pulse about 15-20 times to combine the ingredients.